If you need to perform an initial file ingest into your new NetX instance during Onboarding, or have a large number of assets to import into an existing instance, NetX provides two methods for file import (aside from Uploading Assets through the browser interface):
- Use the NetX I/O app: Both SaaS and on-premise customers can install this desktop application in your local environment. Convenient for larger ingests, NetX I/O is used to map folders of files on a local drive to folders within NetX. See our documentation for more information about NetX I/O.
- Ship us a drive: If you're a SaaS customer, you may ship us a USB storage device containing your files and we'll upload them directly into your application repository. Read our guidelines on Hard Drive Requirements for hardware, formatting, security, and shipping information before copying files to the hard drive.
If any of the following requirements are not met, NetX may charge consulting hours at our standard rate for any extra work required. This includes, but is not limited to: reorganizing, uncompressing, decrypting, renaming, or other scrubbing of data.
Incorrectly formatted hard drives cannot be accepted and will be returned.
- Create your desired folder structure on the hard drive under a single top-level folder entitled "NetX".
- IMPORTANT! The folder structure immediately under the "NetX" folder on the hard drive must map 1-to-1 to the top-level folder structure in the NetX application.
- Any subfolders on the drive that do not map 1-to-1 will be automatically created in NetX. Please pay attention to spelling and spacing to avoid the creation of unnecessary subfolders.
- Empty folders can be included if you want any folders to be automatically created within NetX.
- Remove illegal characters from your folder names. If illegal characters are detected, they will be replaced by underscores during the ingestion (or in some cases, the folder may be rejected). See Illegal Characters in Asset and Folder Names for details.
- Do not include filenames with invalid extensions or with no extensions. See Supported File Formats for more info.
- Do not include hidden files or folders.
- Make sure to standardize case on your files, especially on file extensions: file.jpg and file.JPG will be treated as two different files in search, etc.
- Be aware of illegal characters in file names. If illegal characters are detected, they will be replaced by underscores during the ingestion (or in some cases, the folder may be rejected). See Illegal Characters in Asset and Folder Names for details.
How long will the ingest take?
It is difficult to estimate exactly how long an ingest will take. Every format has its own variables and it can take from hours to days to weeks to ingest everything, depending on the collection. Complex files like PDFs, videos and multi-page documents take longer to process than images. The number of files is more of a consideration than the size of files. Lots of tiny PDF files with vector graphics can take much longer to process than a collection of large TIF images. Full document indexing will also impact upload time.
Can assets be moved or renamed as soon as they are visible in NetX?
No, please avoid moving or renaming any files while an ingest is in progress. You will be notified when the ingest process has completed for the entire drive and then regular tasks may resume.
Can de-duplication take place at the same time as the ingest?
No, it's best to de-duplicate after the ingest has finished to simplify the import verification process.