This article covers accounts that are created using NetX's own account management system in the user interface. If you would like to manage users via a data file, see importing and exporting user data. If you are managing your users via LDAP, see LDAP. If you are managing your users via SAML, see SAML.
To gain access to the NetX application and its features, a valid user account must be created. NetX allows users with user-management privileges to create and edit users for their NetX instance.
To manage NetX user accounts, navigate to the Users tab of the Systems area. Here, you can:
- Create, edit, or delete user accounts.
- View account info such as Sign in, First name, Last name, Email, User level, and expiration date (if any).
- Filter the list of users by user level.
- Filter the list of users via the filter field. This returns users who match the filter terms based on their username, first name, last name, or email address.
- Use the action menu edit the selected user.
Account registration form
Any user account with user level set to No access will not be able to log in or access the application. Users are created with a No access user level by default and must be changed manually during user creation or editing.
The form to create or edit a user displays the following fields:
- First Name & Last Name: The first and last name of the user.
- Email (required): The user's email address, which is used for any system-generated emails such as review or download approval notifications.
- Username (required): This is the unique identifier used to log in to the application. This field cannot be edited later.
- Password (required): The user's password. This password is used during login and must be confirmed against the second password field. Your site settings may require a certain combination of regular or special characters; by default all passwords must be at least 8 characters long. To edit these settings, see password and login security.
- Autogenerate password: Checking the Autogenerate password box removes both password input fields and sends an email to the new user's email address with a link to create their password. This can be used to reset a password for a user.
- User Level (required): The user's user level.
- Expiration Date: If you would like this user to expire, set the expiration date here.
- More info: Here you can view and add contact information for the user such as a phone number or address.
- Click the Systems button, then the Users tab.
- Click the upper-left action menu; choose Add user.
- Enter, at minimum, the new user's Email address, User name, and Password. Note: username cannot be changed later.
- Set the User Level to a level other than No Access if you want the user to log in and access the site.
- Fill out the rest of the form with any additional information needed.
- Use the Systemsbutton found along the lefthand navigation sidebar to access the systems area.
- Navigate to the Users tab.
- Use the action menu icon for the specific user and choose Edit user.
- Update the user's information. Note: the Username field is not editable.
- Click Save for your changes to take effect.
To view or modify group membership for an existing user:
- Click the action menu icon for a particular user and choose Edit user. Click the Groups button at the bottom of the form (to the left of the Save button).
- Click the action menu icon for a particular user and choose Edit user groups.
For more information on creating or editing groups, see managing groups.
Users who need temporary access to NetX can be expired. Expiration dates are set via the user properties page; once that date has passed, the user's level will be set to No access. Expired users can be reinstated by adjusting their user level.
Password resets can be performed two ways:
- Using the Autogenerate password box to send an email to user with a link to create a new password.
- Manually entering a new password into the Password fields.
Users can reset their own passwords via their user profile or by checking the Forgot password box on the login page.
Deleting a user account also deletes all records related to that users account. This can cause unexpected behavior in some areas of the application, such as shared reviews, or gaps in statistical data. To preserve these records while still disabling that user's access to the application, adjust the user level to No access.
- Click the Systems button then the Users tab.
- Click the action menuicon for the specific user and choose Delete user.
- A confirmation dialog will appear; click Delete to confirm the deletion.
Refreshing the page when you are logged in as another user will revert your session to your original user's login.
The Login as feature allows an administrator to log in as another NetX user. When logged in as another user, you can perform actions and view any settings as though they are the chosen user. To log in as another user:
- Click the Systems button, then the Users tab.
- Click the action menu icon for the specific user and choose Login as this user.
- A separate tab will open in your browser, its header indicating that you are logged in with the chosen user.
- To stop operating the application as another user, you can: terminate the session with the x icon in the header, refresh the page, or close the tab.
Director level users have access to most user management features including creating, editing, or deleting users. However, Directors will not be able to manage administrator-level users in any way. This includes creating, editing or deleting administrator accounts. They cannot log in as another user, or promote existing users to an administrator level.