With the advanced search tool, you can build powerful searches using specific, combinable criteria and advanced matching logic.
Performing an advanced search
- Click the search type menu at the top of your application, next to the search bar.
- Choose Advanced search.
- Select a Search type, Search criteria, and add a Value. Available search criteria and value types will depend on your search type selection. Advanced searches are case-insensitive.
- Use the Add modifier button to combine unique search criteria.
- Remove criteria with the X button.
- If you've added multiple modifiers to your search, use the bottommost drop-down menu to choose whether your results should match all of your criteria (AND) or any of your criteria (OR).
The following search types can be combined to find assets that meet specific, customized criteria. Up to ten modifiers can be used while performing a single search.
Choose an attribute from the list of system and custom attributes, your search criteria, then select or type a value once the Value field populates.
Search for checked-outassets. You can specify whether this search returns all checked-out assets in the system, or assets that have been checked out by a specific user.
Search the content of document assets (pdf, doc, txt), in addition to embedded metadata and asset views of all asset types, depending on your site's configuration. Quotation marks should not be used to return results, even in the case of a quoted text such as a dialogue segment. This feature must be enabled by a system administrator before it will appear as a search option.
Select a date attribute:
- Creation date: The date the original file was created before being uploaded to NetX. This is an embedded field from the original device, such as a camera.
- Last modified: The last time the asset was edited or modified in the application.
- Import date: The date the asset was imported to NetX, not to be confused with the original file's creation date.
- Custom dates: Select a custom date attribute.
Once a date attribute is selected, further narrow your criteria:
- Last week
- Last month
- Last three months
- Last six months
- Last year
- In between
Once you have chosen an attribute and type, use the date pickers in the Value field to choose your search date(s).
Search for file aspects such as an image's width or a video's duration:
- Orientation: Search for assets that are either Landscape (width is longer than its height) or Portrait (height is longer than its width) oriented. Only those assets of the specified value will be returned.
- Duration: Search for assets based on their time length (duration). This Search criteria only applies to audio and video assets. Choose whether the search will return assets which are approximate, greater than, less than, or equal to the search's Value. Search values are measured in seconds.
- Width: Search for assets of the specified width. Select whether the search will return results that are approximate, greater than, less than, or equal to the search's Value. Search values are in pixels.
- Length: Search for assets of the specified height. Select whether the search will return results that are approximate, greater than, less than, or equal to the search's Value. Search values are in pixels.
Search for a single file format, e.g. .jpg, .mp4, .pdf. You can configure the search criteria to return only assets of that file type, or to specifically exclude assets of that file type.
File format family
Returns assets whose file extensions are categorized under a format family, such as image or video.
Search for assets that match specific file size criteria. The value will always be a number, but the following criteria determine how the returned assets will relate to your search term:
- Approximately: Search for assets close to your specified file size.
- Greater than: Search for assets that are larger than your specified file size.
- Less than: Search for assets that are smaller than your specified file size.
- Equal to: Search for assets of the exact size specified.
Next, choose a size unit. This will be labeled as your Search subtype:
Search assets that are located in specific folders. The following criteria further specify the folder match conditions:
- Only (recursive): Search for assets stored in the named folder, and any subfolders it may have.
- Exclude (recursive): Exclude assets stored in the named folder, and any subfolders it may have.
- Only: Search for assets stored in the named folder and only that named folder.
- Exclude: Exclude assets stored in the named folder and only that named folder.
Search for general keywords in NetX, identical to the basic keyword search available in the main search bar. For a more thorough explanation of keyword searches, see Keyword Search.
Write your own queries against the internal search engine. See Raw Search for more info.
Search for files imported or modified by a particular user.
If an administrator has purchased and configured the visual search feature, you will be able to select this search type while configuring an exact search. For more information, see Visual Search.
The following search types have unique conditional Search criteria:
Search criteria include the following conditions, depending on the Search type selected:
- [ AND* ] Match all wildcards: Find assets that contain your entire search value, even stems that have been applied to attributes or file metadata, e.g. a search for invent will search for matches with values that contain that word such as inventor or invented. These results are not necessarily in the order the values have been entered in your search.
- [ OR* ] Match any wildcards: Find assets that contain any of your search terms, even stems that have been applied to attributes or file metadata. These results are not necessarily in the order the values have been entered in your search.
- [ = ] Match exactly: Find assets that match your search terms exactly, exactly in the order the values have been entered.
- [ NOT ] Exclude: Exclude assets that don't contain your search terms.
- [ AND ] Match all whole words: Search for assets that contain all of your search terms but does not return partial words or matches.
- [ OR ] Match any whole words: Search for assets that contain any of your search terms but does not return partial words or matches.
- [ RANGE ]: Match any range: Search for assets that contain an attribute value that lies between two bounds, inclusive. RANGE is only supported with number and date attributes.
- [ NOVALUE ] No value: Search for assets where the chosen attribute has no value.
- [ ANYVALUE ] Any value: Search for assets where the chosen attribute has any value.