NetX runs on the Tomcat application server. By starting, stopping, or restarting Tomcat, you will effectively be doing the same to your NetX application instance. See the instructions below for your specific platform.
By default, the NetX installation process installs Tomcat to run as a Windows service and sets it to automatically start when Windows boots up. We recommend that this configuration not be changed.
- To stop, start, or restart the service, log on to your NetX server as an Administrator.
- Navigate to Services. Depending on your version of Windows, you can access this management console through Administrative Tools, or launch a run prompt and type the command: services.msc
- Once you are in the Services console, find an entry to the NetX service. In some old installations, this service name might be called 'Tomcat'. If you aren't sure what your service is named, please contact support for assistance.
- Once you have located the NetX service, right-click on it to launch a context menu. Depending on the state that the service is in, you will be presented with the option to Stop, Restart, and/or Start. Click on the option that you would like to perform.
- To ensure that the application has started properly after a Start or Restart, you can try to access it in a browser or open the Tomcat log. The default location for this log in Windows is ~\Program Files\NetXposure\logs\stderr.log. If NetX started successfully, you should see these entries in the log:
NetX instances can be shut down or started using the standard Tomcat startup and shutdown scripts.
- Log on to the NetX server as a user with sudo privileges.
Type the following command to shut down Tomcat. In the example below, the NetX application folder is located in /opt/netx.
sudo /opt/netx/bin/shutdown.sh; tail -F /opt/netx/logs/catalina.out
This command shuts down Tomcat and then tails the Tomcat log so that a proper shutdown can be validated.
When Tomcat has been shut down, you should see the following message in catalina.out:
Thu May 26 17:40:40 PDT 2016 EXOGEN INFO: The application is offline. Thu May 26 17:40:40 PDT 2016 EXOGEN WARNING: TERMINATING JVM!
To start Tomcat again, enter the following command:
sudo /opt/netx/bin/startup.sh; tail -F /opt/netx/logs/catalina.out
When NetX has started successfully, you will see this entry while tailing catalina.out:
May 26, 2016 7:03:13 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start INFO: Server startup in 49163 ms