Folders are virtual containers for assets; they make it easy for users to browse content. Folder structure plays an important part in how asset permissions are applied and is also used to curate navigation and search in Portals.
To open the folder pane, click the folders button in the lefthand sidebar. The folder tree is structured hierarchically:
- Top-level folders display in the sidebar once the folder pane is opened.
- Subfolders are nested underneath parent folders. Folders may have multiple subfolders, nested subfolders, or no subfolders at all.
Use the folder pane to find specific folders by:
- Manually navigating the folder tree. Folders with subfolders have a right-facing arrow icon. Click to reveal the next layer of subfolders.
- Filtering the folder tree by a specific folder name. As you type into the filter box, any top-level folders or subfolders that match your search criteria will appear in the folder side pane along with their full folder path.
Folder actions can be accessed either by right-clicking on a folder name in the tree or using a folder's rightmost action menu button. Note, the menu options may vary depending on your user level:
- Create PDF: Creates a PDF sheet of the folder's contents; only applies to the selected folder, not any subfolders it may have.
Download: Downloads a zip file of the folder contents. Note that this will only download the selected folder's contents, not any of its subfolders.
- Edit folder: Opens a window where you can edit the folder name, parent folder, and more.
List all: Displays a gallery containing every asset in the chosen folder in addition to its subfolders into one gallery view.
- Share: Create a share link with the contents of the folder. Note that this will only share the selected folder's contents, not any of its subfolders.
Upload: Initiates an upload to the chosen folder.
Delete: Deletes the entire folder. Any assets in the folder will also be deleted.
- Click the action button to the right of the filter at the top of the folder pane and click Add folder.
- Give the new folder a Name. Folder names are limited to 100 characters.
- Assign a Parent folder. If you create a new folder while viewing a folder's gallery, this field automatically populates with the folder you are viewing as the parent. If a new folder is created from any other context, the top level folder will be assigned as its parent. To change the parent folder, type the name of the desired parent folder into the input field then select it. If you would like to create a folder in the root of the folder tree, type Top level or use the Top level button under the folder input line.
- Give your new folder a Description (optional).
- Click Save to create the new folder. Your folder will now display in the folder tree.
Edit a folder in one of two ways:
- Use the folder's lefthand action menu and choose Edit folder from the menu.
- Right-click a folder in the folder pane and choose Edit folder from the menu.
- Folder ID: The folder's unique identification number. This number is generated when a folder is created.
- Name: The folder's name.
- Parent: The folder immediately above the current folder in the folder tree. If the folder is a top level folder, this field will say Top level.
- Description: A description of the folder. If you are setting up a portal, these folder descriptions appear as hover text while viewing your portal's content.
- Path: The full folder path, from the top level of the application to the current folder.
- Portal image: Replace the default folder icon with an image stored in NetX; this folder image is displayed in a configured portal's folder blocks. Type the name of the image asset into the input field, and choose the correct asset from the subsequent drop-down list. A thumbnail preview of the image will display in the folder editor itself. Please note the recommended size for these portal images is 370x215 pixels to avoid cropped or distorted content.
- Contents: The types of files contained in the folder, e.g. image, document, audio, etc.
- Direct link: The direct URL to the folder.
- Bytes: The cumulative size of the contents of the folder, in bytes.
- Folders: The number of subfolders contained in the current folder.
- Assets: The number of assets currently stored in the folder.
- Attribute profile: Assign an attribute profile to the folder. For more information, see attribute profiles.
- Search facet: If this box is checked, the current folder will be available as a search facet in the gallery.
- Cancel / Save: Cancel closes the window without retaining any of your changes. Save saves your changes and closes the window.
There are two ways to delete a folder:
- Use the folder's lefthand action menu and choose Delete folder from the menu.
- Right-click a folder in the lefthand folder pane; choose Delete folder from the menu.
To confirm the deletion, click Delete from the subsequent window.
Editing the folder tree
Manually reordering folders
Users with sufficient privileges to the application can restructure the folder tree manually as long as your site's configuration supports it:
- Hover over a folder's icon along the folder tree and grab it using the two-bar grab icons that appear.
- Drag the folder to its new parent or to the top level folder, depending on your needs. If you are adding the folder as another folder's first subfolder or the folder is not unfurled, simply hover over the desired folder; it will open and you will then be able to drag your chosen folder to its new location.
If you are dragging the folder to a new parent or to the top level from a subfolder, you will be asked to confirm the move.
Changing a subfolder's parent folder
- Either right-click the folder your wish to edit, or use its lefthand action menu button to open the folder's action menu.
- Click Edit folder.
- Under Parent, begin typing the name of its new parent location. A dropdown will populate as you type; select the desired folder from that dropdown. If you would like to move your folder to the top level of the folder structure, type Top level.
- Click Save to move the folder to its new location.