Folders are virtual containers for assets; they make it easy for users to browse content. Folder structure plays an important part in how asset permissions are applied, and is also used to curate navigation and search in Portals .
To open the folder pane, click the folders button in the lefthand sidebar. The folder tree is structured hierarchically:
- Top-level folders display in the sidebar once the folder pane is opened.
- Subfolders are nested underneath parent folders. Folders may have multiple subfolders, nested subfolders, or no subfolders at all.
Use the folder pane to find specific folders by:
- Manually navigating the folder tree. Folders with subfolders have a right-facing arrow icon. Click to reveal the next layer of subfolders.
- Filtering the folder tree by a specific folder name. As you type into the filter box, any top-level folders or subfolders that match your search criteria will appear in the folder side pane.
Folder actions can be accessed by right-clicking on a folder name in the tree. The menu options will vary depending on your user level:
Download a zip file of the folder contents.
List all to combine the contents of all subfolders in one gallery view.
Upload to the folder.
Edit the folder name, parent folder and more.
Delete the entire folder.
Create a new folder in two ways:
- Click the plus button at the foot of the folder pane.
- Click the pencil button at the foot of the folder pane, then the plus button associated with each folder.
Once the Create folder window is open:
- Give the new folder a Name. Folder names are limited to 100 characters.
- Assign a Parent folder. If you create a new folder while viewing a folder's gallery, this field will automatically populate with the folder you are viewing as parent. If a new folder is created from any other context, the top level folder will be assigned as its parent. To change the parent folder, type the name of the desired parent folder into the input field. If you would like to create a folder in the root of the folder tree, type Top level.
- Give your new folder a Description (optional).
- Click Save to create the new folder. Your folder will now display in the folder tree.
Edit a folder in one of two ways:
- Right-click a folder in the folder pane and choose Edit folder from the menu.
- Click the pencil button at the foot of the folder pane to enter folder edit mode, then click the pencil button which corresponds to each folder item. This will begin creating a folder with the chosen folder as the parent.
- Folder ID: The folder's unique identification number. This number is generated when a folder is created.
- Name: The folder's name.
- Parent: The folder immediately above the current folder in the folder tree. If the folder is a top level folder, this field will say Top level.
- Description: A description of the folder. If you are setting up a portal, these folder descriptions appear as hover text while viewing your portal's content.
- Path: The full folder path, from the top level of the application to the current folder.
- Portal image: Replace the default folder icon with an image stored in NetX; this folder image is displayed in a configured portal's folder blocks. Type the name of the image asset into the input field, and choose the correct asset from the subsequent drop-down list. A thumbnail preview of the image will display in the folder editor itself. Please note the recommended size for these portal images is 370x215 pixels to avoid cropped or distorted content.
- Contents: The types of files contained in the folder, e.g. image, document, audio, etc.
- Direct link: The direct URL to the folder.
- Bytes: The cumulative size of the contents of the folder, in bytes.
- Folders: The number of subfolders contained in the current folder.
- Assets: The number of assets currently stored in the folder.
- Attribute profile: Assign an attribute profile to the folder. For more information, see attribute profiles.
- Search facet: If this box is checked, the current folder will be available as a search facet in the gallery.
- Cancel / Save: Cancel closes the window without retaining any of your changes. Save saves your changes and closes the window.
There are two ways to delete a folder:
- Right-click a folder in the lefthand folder pane; choose Delete folder from the menu.
- Click the pencil button at the foot of the folder pane to enter folder edit mode, then click the Delete folder button that accompanies each folder item in the editor.
- To confirm the deletion, click Delete .
Editing the folder tree
Manually reordering folders
Users with sufficient privileges to the application can restructure the folder tree manually as long as your site's configuration supports it:
- Use the pencil button found at the foot of the folder pane. This will enable the folder editor mode.
- Click and drag a folder around the folder tree with the drag icon.If your reorganization action changes a folder's parent directory, a reindex of the assets will take place. Larger folders will take longer than smaller folders.
- Click the Finished button to save your changes.
Changing a subfolder's parent folder
Folders can be rearranged by assigning a new parent folder in folder edit mode.
- Use the pencil button at the foot of the folder pane, then click the pencil button which corresponds to each folder item.
- Begin typing the new parent folder into the Parent field of the Edit folder window; a drop-down list of relevant folders will appear. Note: if you would like to move a folder to the top level of the application, type Top level.
- Select the desired folder from the drop-down list.
- Click Save to move the folder to its new location.
Refreshing the folder tree
To update the folder tree with any changes which may have been made by other users, use the Refresh button found at the foot of the folder tree.