Custom thumbnails replace the thumbnail automatically generated for an asset during the upload process, with the image of your choice.
Adding a custom thumbnail
- Navigate to an asset's detail page.
- Use the action menu and choose Add custom thumbnail.
- Choose a supported file type from your local storage; this file will replace the system-generated thumbnail.
Video keyframes and custom thumbnails
You can use a video asset's keyframes to choose a custom thumbnail for the chosen video.
- Navigate to a video asset's detail page.
- Click on the Keyframes tab.
- Click an available keyframe thumbnail.
- The preexisting thumbnail will update to match the selected keyframe.
Document pages and custom thumbnails
You can use a document asset's pages to choose a custom thumbnail. Supported document file types include DOC, DOCX, PDF, PPT, PPTX, and INDD files.
- Navigate to a document asset's detail page.
- Click on the Pages tab.
- Click an available page thumbnail.
- The preexisting thumbnail will update to match the selected page.
Removing a custom thumbnail
Custom thumbnails can be removed by resyncing an asset with a custom thumbnail. When an asset with a custom thumbnail is resynced, a new default thumbnail will be generated; in some cases with some file types, this may appear as a generic file type thumbnail. This action will delete the custom thumbnail and it cannot be retrieved.
- An asset's thumbnail is used when performing a visual search. This means if an asset is using a custom thumbnail, visual search results will be based on that thumbnail rather than the original asset.
- If an image asset is manually repurposed , the preview used during the repurposing process will use the custom thumbnail. The final repurposed result will reflect the underlying asset rather than its thumbnail.
- If you are uploading an InDesign document and would like to preserve any template image content in thumbnails and previews in NetX, see our guide on INDD thumbnail support.
- Any reviews that include an asset with a custom thumbnail will use the custom thumbnail as the preview while viewing and annotating the review..